If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (914) 699-5181

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How to Prevent Odor in Your Home After a Flood

9/12/2019 (Permalink)

The floor of a house covered with mud from flooded waters Storms in Tuckahoe, NY caused flooding that unfortunately affected this residential client.

How to Prevent Odor in Your Home After a Flood

After a flood in Tuckahoe, NY, damage to your home can create several problems. One of these is a lingering odor in your house. There can be multiple reasons for this, from bacteria to mold growth. To prevent or remove a bad smell in your house after a storm, perform the following steps.

1. Remove the Water Quickly

Flood water is classified as category 3 which means that it is highly contaminated. It can bring mud, debris, bacteria and even waste into your home. If it is allowed to remain for an extended period of time, the bacteria can spread throughout the house, affecting walls, floors and furniture. For this reason, it should be removed as soon as possible.

2. Clean Everything

Because water from a flood can bring a lot of contaminants, including mold spores, into your house, it is important to clean and sanitize everything thoroughly. Otherwise, bacteria and mold growth will continue. These can contribute to a bad smell in the home, along with other potential problems. Clean all hard surfaces and any porous materials that you can. Severely damaged items may need to be replaced.

3. Inspect for Mold

If everything has been thoroughly cleaned but you are still noticing a musty odor, then you likely have a mold growth hidden somewhere in your house. Because this fungus can grow in most places, colonies do not always form in visible areas. You can hire a cleanup and restoration service to perform an inspection and remove any excessive mold that has formed.
Whether the water in your home is from a severe storm or from a sewage loss, you should be careful when dealing with it. While it is important to have it removed as soon as possible, you should avoid touching contaminated water. The best course of action is to call a professional service to have the area cleaned for you.

Other News

View Recent Posts