If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (914) 699-5181

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

MOLD removal in NY State for 10x10 square feet - It's a fungus among us and only a fungacide can kill mold in a Yonkers home or business 10704

5/2/2016 (Permalink)

Our trained technicians who respond to remove any mold will create containment, so the spores from this organic growth don't spread in your building

Remove any Mold & Mildew in your Home or Business for for health & safety, as of January 1, 2016 in NY State ~ Yonkers

This is why it’s important to remove and mitigate any mold in your house or your business, before someone has health issues -- according to:  epa.gov/mold/mold-and-health.

The EPA has finally come out in 2016 and issued a federal statement that Mold can cause health issues because of the “spores” that it sends into the air and that humans may breath in. 

Mold is a fungus -- like those mushrooms under tree roots in the woods.  It is essentially the deterioration of organic matter and it's fine living outside.  But, it's better for humans, the Feds state, if we do not have mold living with us inside our home or business! 

If your structure has had a leak, has an ongoing dampness problem or was flooded by storm surge, you may be growing mold.  In some cases, your property insurance may cover mold growth, if it is the result of a "water damage," leak or mechanical failure with your sump pump, for example.  Call your insurance broker.

Dampness offers ideal conditions for mold to grow and feed off of organic materials – like drywall, wood or cloth. After water damage has occurred, mold can begin growing in as quickly as two days in a ripe, humid area in your affected home or business.

When you encounter mold, your ability to breathe properly should be your top concern. Mold can create health problems through those spores it releases into the air, to actually let other mold and organic growth to know that it “owns” this wall or floor area.

These health issues may cause breathing difficulties, allergic reactions, infections and other issues, according to the EPA.  This is especially true among children under 12 years old, the elderly and anyone who is immune suppressed (HIV/Aids patients or anyone who has had recent surgery or chemo therapy, etc.)  You may be required to evacuate the home or interior of the property, when the presence of mold becomes too much.

Any standing water should be removed and cleaned up as soon as you notice it. This eliminates the ideal growing conditions that allow for mold to grow and thrive in your property.  Dehumidification can only work, once any leak is patched or fixed and standing water is removed.

What Causes Mold?

Mold is likely growing in your home if you have moisture there. Many types of moisture problems can lead to mold growth. These include damp clothing, leaky pipes, roof leaks, a lack of ventilation, floods, water in the basement, and condensation.

You should always hire a company that has undergone extensive training and is certified in IICRC coursework – this is the national standard that originated in NY State and it’s the most trusted certification for mold removal.

Our IICRC training includes courses on how to:

  • Determine where water is coming from
  • Identify the presence of mold
  • Ensure mold does not spread any further
  • Remediate mold
  • Utilize thorough drying techniques to ensure mold does not continue to grow and impact your building
  • Restore property or advise on methods necessary to do so

You may need to bring in a Home Environmentalist, also known as an Industrial Hygenist, and have them conduct testing.  Only someone in a lab coat, who tests organic materials in a Petri dishe can determine the amount and type of mold.  The testing by an IEP or Home Environmentalist simply gathers the evidence and they send it to pros at a lab.

Then, with their clinical findings our restoration company now has "menu" for removing the mold and we can go to work, to best remove it / mitigate it. We do not test for mold because it is a conflict of interest.

Identifying the Mold

Mold has no set appearance and it can be any number of colors, including black, gray, white, green or pink molds.

One sure sign is visible identification of mold. But if the mold is unusual in color or size on a wall or floor, or in a closet, you might not even realize what you are seeing. Mold can grow in polka dots on walls and trim or will grow in a cluster.  It can grow in places you may not be able to see, for instance, inside your walls.

Determining the Presence of Mold

A IEP or tester – like Jim Rood at Lighthouse Environmental, or Mike at Family First Environmental in Westchester, NY can verify any:

  • Visible signs of mold
  • Musty odors
  • Humid conditions
  • Symptoms of a neurological nature, including dizziness and headaches
  • Signs of long-term dampness
  • Stained or discolored floors and walls
  • Peeled paint and bubbling wallpaper
  • Warped or buckled floors, walls and bowed trim or supports
  • Damp flooring and surfaces

Get your home or business dry and call in pros, who will be sure to spray fungicide for mold because bleach and over the counter cleansers do not kill or remove it.  Mold is a fungus and must be removed with a fungicide! Testing has shown that bleach does not kill or remove mold, it just lightens it and makes it dormant, until water or humidity returns -- like in our bathrooms.

Call us for an appointment to conduct a walk-through and Scope of Work in your home or business ~ 8a until 5p, Monday through Friday.

We look forward to working with and for you on your mold issue, by appointment, at a convenient time for your family or business.

Other News

View Recent Posts