Emergency Tips for Residential Mold
When you look for the perfect house in Scarsdale, NY, you may focus on square footage or number of bedrooms. For mold spores, moisture is the ideal home to settle down and multiply. When black mold takes up residence in your home, begin the eviction process immediately.
Take Immediate Action
In as little as 48 hours a single mold spore can turn into a mold infestation. In most instances, addressing a moisture problem within that time frame prevents mold from forming in the first place. When you suspect mold in your home, take the following actions as soon as possible:
- Turn off your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. Spores travel through the air which creates problems for other areas of your house.
- If the moisture problem is due to a leak in the plumbing, repair it immediately. Turn off the water supply to the source until it is fixed.
- Mold cleanup usually requires services of a mold restoration specialist. Avoid contamination of other areas by not disturbing the moldy site.
Initiate Mold Cleanup
In an emergency situation, mold specialists typically arrive within four hours to assess the damage. Since mold is part of nature, all mold spores in the air cannot be removed. Rather, mold remediation consists of the following steps:
- Your home is inspected for visible and hidden mold problems.
- The affected areas are contained to prevent contamination elsewhere in your home.
- Air filtration equipment is used to remove spores from the air and control the spread of spores once the infestation is disturbed.
- Black mold and mold-ridden structures and contents are removed. Remaining items are cleaned and restored.
If you don’t want to share your home with black mold in Scarsdale, NY, act quickly at the first signs of an infestation. Turn off the HVAC system, shut off the water supply and contact a mold remediation specialist.